“What are your plans for next year?” – The dreaded question that all college seniors are asked.
It would have been easier to ignore the frightening reality that I am graduating in four months, but with determination I ventured back to campus a few days early to attend the Future Steps workshop over winter break, January 15 & 16, 2015. This COES & Pre-Business workshop, taught by Mimi Doherty ’02 – Founder & President of Future Steps, is geared toward juniors and seniors looking for an internship or a full time job. We were all eager to learn the tools necessary to nail a job interview, write the perfect cover letter and present that 60 second pitch.
What did Mimi teach us?
- How to answer behavioral interview questions
- What types of questions can you expect?
- Why are the interviewers asking these questions?
- How to construct your resume
- Make sure it’s visually appealing
- Are your bullet points concise? Do they show what you’re capable of?
- How tell a coherent story
- Are you making sense? Are you using specific examples to back up your points?
- Are you using the three step rule to tell your story?
- How to tailor your resume and interview to company specific expectations
- Are you qualified? Do you meet their expectations?
- What stories do you tell?
Overall, I highly recommend this workshop to rising juniors and seniors. Mimi was incredibly generous in her willingness to help us develop our interview skills, resume and how to market ourselves in the workforce. Attending a liberal arts college has tremendous benefits for the real world. However, most Holy Cross students lack the proper language to leverage our unique academic background. This workshop will help you choose key vocabulary to enhance your brand and land that first job. I can honestly say I am much more prepared for the job search process.
I’m ready for the next step, are you?
Thanks to Grace Chmiel ’15 for this honest reflection and review of the new COES Future Steps Workshop taught by Mimi Doherty ’02, Founder & President of Future Steps. Good luck in the job hunt, Grace – we are confident in your success!
As always – check out the new COES instapage @HCPrebusiness and watch for the next blog post…
Associate Director, Entrepreneurial Studies